Sunday, January 28, 2007

Not-Mommy-Approved-licious


At the risk of all my street cred flying out the window, I'm going to be brutally honest.

Last week, I purchased my first ever... deep breath... first ever Edited Version of a song.

Maddy has developed this penchant for Fergie- and more specifically, the song "Fergilicious." I blame my sister for that one. Now, if you know me, you know my taste in music is wide enough to include my fair share of guilty pleasures that I don't mind owning up to. (I call to reference Ashlee Simpon and Kelly Clarkson.) However, please believe me when I say that the choice to add this song to my iTunes library was strictly for Maddy. With that in mind, having never heard the song in it's entirety, I opted to purchase the edited version.
So, the version of the song that Maddy gets to listen to says "shhhhh" instead of "shit". Whoopee! I had only heard my daugher and sister singing the chorus of the song when I bought it, and had no idea it contained lines like "I got reasons why I tease 'em, boys just come and go like seasons," and "I know I'm comin off just a little bit conceited when I keep on repeating how the boys wanna eat it." Hearing my six year old sing that made me fear getting arrested in my own home... not to mention the conversations I'll be having with her ten years from now.
The complete dorkiness I felt for buying an edited song was quickly eclipsed by worries of my daughter becoming a stripper. You think I would have learned my lesson after the great Pussycat Dolls Debacle of 2005, but I guess I'm still learning.

This begs a bigger question- one bigger than "What's wrong with Maddy saying things like 'They'll be lining down the block just to watch what I got'?" That question is this: does this mean I have to start listening to KidzBop???

No comments: