Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Sometimes, the grass is greenest in your own front yard.


I'm going to be honest with you here. I was Cranky Mom yesterday. I was impatient, irritable, not Very Much Fun At All Mom. I was looking forward to spending some one-on-one time with my daughter tonight to compensate for my microscopic fuse yesterday. We ignored the chores that needed to be done. We neglected the television. We shunned (most of) her homework.

An old friend of ours asked about Madelynn, and it took me a while to figure out how to answer. She's absolutely the most complex child I've ever met. She can be deliriously silly and then completely morose in the same sixty-second time span. She's got teen angst flowing through her seven year old body... she is very hard work and the thing I am most proud of, and also the biggest challenge I face. I can see myself through her. I am petrified of her growing even a day older.

But, for today, I pushed away the sadness of knowing that one day this will all be different. For today, I enjoyed her as my seven year old. When I tucked her in bed tonight, I sat on the edge of her bed a little longer, hugged a little tighter, and lingered at the door for a few minutes longer.

Goodnight, Moo. Thank you for today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She is, of course, THEEE most precious thing on the face of the planet..... I love you too madelynn(no I didn't haveta look at her homework)